Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How to choose optionals

I have begun the blog with most difficult question that the aspirants usually face.
That is "Which optionals to choose"
There are 6 guidelines that I can suggest:
1. Interest: Its the most imp. factor while deciding. UPSC civil services is an exam which generally requires more than 1 attempt to clear. So, the subject should be such that It attracts and that too for a long period. It should not be like you are taking one optional and then changing it after 1 attempt and then taking it again. I am telling this because I have suffered this during my preparation. I had to change my optional from chemistry to Punjabi literature, which thankfully clicked for me.
2. DO NOT TAKE 2 SCIENCE OPTIONALS: Its the golden rule, which I have realized from my own experience. As with Physics and chemistry my mains score in my 2nd attempt was 962, just above to give me an interview call, but finally no selection. The reason is the date sheet. In Physics and chemistry there was a leave of just 1 day. So It was not possible to revise entire chemistry.
So while deciding optionals do see that mains datesheet at least once. UPSC generally does not change the format of datesheet. For science students/ medical background students/ Engg. background students Its advisable to chose one arts and one science optional.
3. Coaching/Guidance/Study Material: Its an equally imp. criterion. e.g. for chemistry there were no quality books and almost no good coaching. So take decision based on whether you will have quality study material availability or not. Also think for coaching and guidance if required and if you can afford.
4. Take the previous 10 year papers of the all the optionals from which you want to chose e.g you want to chose optionals from physics, law, Punjabi literature, Geography, History etc. then do see their syllabus and 10 year mains papers to take decision.
5. Chose that optional in which you have done your graduation. I mean never leave that subject in which you have speciality unless you have some strong dislike for that. For those aspirants whose graduation subjects are not there in UPSC list like Computer engg. etc., Its diffiicult for them. But the path of UPSC civil services has many such difficulties. So, I think,  they have to follow the above guidelines while deciding.
6. Never Decide in haste. Take your own time. Its better to spend 1 month for deciding rather that changing it after 2 years.


I hope it will help to chose optionals.
Thanks
May Waheguru G bless you and make you an IAS officer.